TOBIN ELLIS, PARTNER
317 Rosecrans Ave., Suite 100,
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Tel: (424) 901-1202
Tobin Ellis focuses his practice on complex personal injury, wrongful death litigation, and a variety of other civil matters. He represents clients throughout the state who have been harmed by the negligence of others in motor vehicle collisions, construction site accidents, defective products, nursing home abuse, premises liability and has handled a multitude of bicycle cases. During his career, Mr. Ellis has also handled complex business litigation and insurance bad faith cases.
Mr. Ellis attended the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he received a Bachelor of Arts in 1996. He then pursued his legal studies at Pepperdine University School of Law in Malibu and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1999. After graduation, Mr. Ellis worked in the large firm setting, where he provided defense counsel to corporations, insurers and their clients who were being sued for negligence.
In 2004, he re-focused his practice and dedicated his energy to representing plaintiffs. The experience he previously obtained has helped him to anticipate the types of defense strategies that he now faces. Admitted to practice in California, Mr. Ellis is also admitted to practice before the Federal District Courts in Northern Texas and New Mexico. In 2007 he became a member of the bar of the United States Supreme Court.
Highly regarded by his peers, Mr. Ellis is frequently asked to speak to groups of fellow attorneys about developments in the ever-changing law that affects the legal rights of Californians. He has been named a Super Lawyer, a Top 100 National Trial Lawyer, and has a rating of 10.0 on Avvo. He sits on the Board of Governors for the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles and previously did for the Consumer Attorneys of California.
In 2017 he earned CAALA’s Presidential Award for outstanding contribution to the Consumer Attorney’s Association of Los Angeles, the largest trial bar association in the United States.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Law Day Advisor, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Settlement Officer, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court – Central District of California
- United States District Court – Southern District of California
- United States District Court – Eastern District of California
- United States District Court – Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court – New Mexico
- United States Supreme Court
- Product Liability and Strict Liability Cases. Speaker – CAALA Las Vegas, NV, 2021.
- Speaker. Demonstrating Course and Scope And The Grounds For Punitive Damages In Auto Crash Cases. Lecturer. Auto Cases, CAALA, 2020.
- Presented on case evaluation and presentation of pre-litigation and litigation demands and legal developments pertaining to effective use of CCP section 998 to encourage settlement. Speaker, Demand Letters and 998s, CAALA, Las Vegas, NV, 2019.
- Spoke at largest attorney convention in the nation on the topic of liens. Speaker, CAALA Las Vegas Convention – Liens, 2018.
- Spoke on Issues Confronted in Handling MIST cases. Speaker – Proving Unique Injuries, CAALA, Las Vegas, NV, 2016.
- October 2016 Advocate Magazine Publication – Pleading the Fifth in Civil Cases – Using the Defendant’s Shield As Your Sword, CAALA.
- Panels at CAALA Las Vegas Convention’s seminars on Elder Abuse, General Damages and Government Tort Claims. Moderator & Co-Chair, 2015.
- CCP Section 998 Offers To Compromise – A Strategic Tool For Plaintiff and Defense Counsel To Obtain Favorable Settlements and Recovery Of Expert Fees – South Bay Bar Association. Speaker, 2013.
- Hip and Pelvis Injuries – Don’t Let the Medicine Be a Pain in Your Case – CAALA, Speaker, 2013.
- Judges Evaluation – CAALA, Speaker, 2011.
- Elder Abuse – A Brief Overview – South Bay Bar Association. Speaker, 2006.